This is the agenda and summary for the weekly Zope developer meeting of Tuesday, 2010-07-13 on #zope@irc.freenode.org from 15:00 to 15:30 UTC.


The IRC log is available here:


Christian Theune, Charlie Clark, Tres Seaver, Fred Drake, Hanno Schlichting

Abandoned projects

Tres reported that there are a bunch of projects in SVN that nobody seems to care about (at least enough to update copyright heads, conform to policy, …). In the long run those may need to be moved away from the main tree or repository to signal that they’re not actively maintained.

We’d like to take action to figure out which of those projects really aren’t maintained anymore.

A first step for this would be to make it more visible who the developers are that (used to) maintain the code. The idea came up to enhance the repository policy report with the information of “when was the last commit”, “who were the frequent committers for this branch”. This would allow developers to quickly scan the list of projects for their name and thus check faster whether any of the projects they are interested in needs attention.

Charlie Clark volunteered to make the necessary changes to the repository policy checking code as soon as he has time in the next week(s).

ZTK vs Python 2.7

The mailing list thread about ZTK/Python 2.7 was picked up. Tres expressed interest in supporting Python 2.7 ASAP.

For ZTK 1.0 there are multiple reasons not to support Python 2.7:

  • ZTK 1.0 still needs to support Python 2.4 and supporting many Python versions in parallel (2.4-2.7) is maybe not a good idea
  • ZODB 3.9 isn’t compatible and upgrading to 3.10 won’t happen before ZTK 1.1

ZTK 1.1 then could drop support for Python 2.4 and upgrade packages to get them in a version that supports Python 2.7.

Windows help needed

Tres noted that we’re notoriously short on Windows developers that help fixing bug. If you’re a Windows developer then we would appreciate if you could help fixing bugs quickly that appear on Windows as none of the core developers run Windows as their primary working environment.


  • Abandoned projects (Tres)

Ongoing issues

Those issues are currently ongoing. We don’t have to discuss them. We just need to follow up on them eventually.

  • Use of $Id$ properties in code (keep, remove active, remove opportunistically) See https://mail.zope.org/pipermail/zope-cmf/2010-July/029208.html
  • Expectations for the upcoming Zope summit?
  • Meta
    • Review meeting itself, maybe add extra 15 minutes for “meta” once a month or every two months? (postponed until 2010-06-01)
    • How to organize open issues in the long run (Blueprints? Other tool? Continue text files?)
  • ZTK status
    • Towards a ZTK release
      • Documentation
      • Release scope
  • Test runners / nightly builds
    • Windows
      • Compiler licenses (Tres, postponed until after 2010-06-14)
      • Win egg builder (Adam)
      • Documentation about VM setup (Adam)
    • Supporting Python 2.7
      • Needs help from the buildbots
  • Documentation
    • Consolidate “floating” documentation into Sphinx/docs.zope.org
      • write blueprint for the consolidation effort (Theuni)
      • Find candidate links and gather them centrally
      • Edit/update the documentation from the link list and land in Sphinx-style during a sprint
    • Turn ZTK package documentation into sphinx style (like zope.event)
      • write bug and assign to toolkit projects (Theuni)
    • Provide package documentation under docs.zope.org/<packagename> and keep updated based on the projects’ trunks. (Jens)
  • Releases
    • How to find a good point when to cut a new release for a package for which fixed bugs where registered (or changes have been made)? Any automation possible to alert us when changes have been sitting around unreleased for a while?

Topic proposals

  • Chris McDonough: Pondering some (re-)structuring of the ZTK to allow for better maintenance/release management/communication/marketing.
  • Christian Theune: I’d like us to ponder how we can (in addition to the housekeeping and cleanups we do) also move to do constructive work together to expand the stuff that Zope packages (ZTK) is about. How do we go about implementing new technologies together, like supporting HTML 5 in the various parts? I’d like to start putting in new code in the foreseeable future in the zope.* namespace.