2010-06-29

This is the agenda and summary for the weekly Zope developer meeting of Tuesday, 2010-06-29 on #zope@irc.freenode.org from 15:00 to 15:30 UTC.

Summary

The IRC log is available here:
http://zope3.pov.lt/irclogs-zope/%23zope.2010-06-29.log.html#t2010-06-29T18:00:17

Attendees

Charlie Clark, Adam Groszer, Jens Vagelpohl, Chris McDonough

KGS 3.4.1 release

The KGS 3.4.1 was released and Adam was thanked for his work. He pointed out that the checklist for announcements contained a reference to a German magazine that requires a German translation but hasn’t found any German willing to do the translation yet. He was pointed to ask on the mailing list.

The topic of the end of life for Zope 3 releases crept up again and it was pointed out that Zope 3.4 is the last major release: there will be no Zope 3.5 but BlueBream.

Zope summit

Some people threw in some thoughts they had about discussing future Zope developments. Here’s a paraphrased list of what was said on IRC:

  • Charlie Clark would like to ponder certification on software quality (touching test coverage)
  • Charlie Clark would like to see more explanation on how to use a component-based approach for solving problems instead of adding more features
  • Adam would like to look around at “others” to find out where Zope is missing out
  • Charlie and Chris think that the “bicycle toolkit” should be discussed

Agenda

  • Wrap up/review of KGS 3.4.1 release, any next steps?
  • Expectations for the upcoming Zope summit?

Ongoing issues

Those issues are currently ongoing. We don’t have to discuss them. We just need to follow up on them eventually.

  • ZTK status
    • Towards a ZTK release
      • Documentation
      • Release scope
  • Test runners / nightly builds
    • Windows
      • Compiler licenses (Tres, postponed until after 2010-06-14)
      • Win egg builder (Adam)
      • Documentation about VM setup (Adam)
    • Supporting Python 2.7
      • Needs help from the buildbots
  • Documentation
    • Consolidate “floating” documentation into Sphinx/docs.zope.org
      • write blueprint for the consolidation effort (Theuni)
      • Find candidate links and gather them centrally
      • Edit/update the documentation from the link list and land in Sphinx-style during a sprint
    • Turn ZTK package documentation into sphinx style (like zope.event)
      • write bug and assign to toolkit projects (Theuni)
    • Provide package documentation under docs.zope.org/<packagename> and keep updated based on the projects’ trunks. (Jens)
  • Releases
    • How to find a good point when to cut a new release for a package for which fixed bugs where registered (or changes have been made)? Any automation possible to alert us when changes have been sitting around unreleased for a while?
  • Meta
    • Review meeting itself, maybe add extra 15 minutes for “meta” once a month or every two months? (postponed until 2010-06-01)
    • How to organize open issues in the long run (Blueprints? Other tool? Continue text files?)

Topic proposals

  • Chris McDonough: Pondering some (re-)structuring of the ZTK to allow for better maintenance/release management/communication/marketing.
  • Christian Theune: I’d like us to ponder how we can (in addition to the housekeeping and cleanups we do) also move to do constructive work together to expand the stuff that Zope packages (ZTK) is about. How do we go about implementing new technologies together, like supporting HTML 5 in the various parts? I’d like to start putting in new code in the foreseeable future in the zope.* namespace.